Your windows are a central part of your home’s overall energy efficiency. This is why it is important to know when they need replacing. Buying replacement windows is a $300 to $700 investment on average, creating additional payoff in other areas. If you notice any of the following signs, it might be time to give your local window company a call.
- Your energy bills are increasing
If you notice a sudden spike in your utility bills, your windows could be to blame. This could be a sign of air leaks, faulty glass seals, or dislodged frames. By locating and replacing the problematic windows, you will better insulate your entire home.
- You notice significant damage
If parts of your window are broken or displaced past the point of repair, replacement is likely in order. It is important to address these problems quickly, as they can spread into more serious damage.
- The windows don’t fit your home decor
When renovating a room or your entire home, you might notice that your windows look out of place. In this case, consider upgrading your windows along with other aspects of your house.
- Your rooms are feeling drafty
If you suddenly find yourself shivering while sitting in your favorite chair by the window, it’s time to check for drafts. Do this by moving your hand or a lit match in front of the window frame.
- Your home experiences severe weather
Living in a hurricane or tornado prone area puts your home’s exterior at high risk for damage. If your house weathers these types of storms regularly, it will likely require more frequent residential window replacement.
Be sure to call a residential window installation company and order your replacement windows soon after you notice these symptoms. By acting quickly, you are preventing any further damage or increased energy costs in the near future. The window professionals will also be able to inspect your windows to pinpoint the problem and recommend the best type of window for your home’s needs.
Best Windows Inc. offers high quality commercial and residential window installation in the Chicago area. Call us today to schedule your window replacement.
You hired the perfect local window company and your beautiful new windows are installed in your home. While you are now able to enjoy improved energy efficiency and a better overall aesthetic, don’t get to comfy. To keep your home windows looking and working as good as they are right now, be sure to practice frequent maintenance. By following these simple window maintenance tips, you can help your windows last for years to come.
- Keep It Clean: Periodically wipe down the window frame with a damp cloth to remove dust and dirt. Use glass cleaner to keep the window panes shiny. Be diligent in your cleaning to prevent dirt and mold from building up.
- Seal Off Gaps: This is especially important if you live in a cold climate or if you run an air conditioner in the summer. When air sneaks through the small spaces between your window and frame, you could see a spike in energy bills. The best residential windows prevent energy loss, but keep an eye out for cracks.
- Mind The Exterior: While it is certainly more convenient to pay attention to the inside of your windows, don’t forget to check the outside, too. Your exterior windows are subject to harsher conditions, so they will likely need more cleaning and repair.
- Hire A Professional: Some jobs are too big for you to handle on your own. If you spot any major damage such as cracks in the frame, call a window company. They will be able to do a thorough inspection and determine exactly what your replacement plan should be. You don’t want to cause further damage by trying to fix this damage on your own. Likewise, you don’t want to damage yourself in a misguided DIY attempt to fix your second-story windows.
- Know When To Replace: With proper maintenance, high quality residential windows can last up to 20 years. With this said, not all windows are the same. Depending on the material and environmental conditions, your windows could need replacing sooner. A professional will be able to tell whether you need to schedule residential window replacement.
By keeping up with these maintenance practices, you can assure the longest life possible for your windows. Just remember that there is no perfect formula for keeping your windows in prime condition. When in doubt, call your local window professionals sooner rather than later to schedule an inspection. They will inform you on the precise condition of your windows and can recommend a new window installation plan if necessary.