You hired the perfect local window company and your beautiful new windows are installed in your home. While you are now able to enjoy improved energy efficiency and a better overall aesthetic, don’t get to comfy. To keep your home windows looking and working as good as they are right now, be sure to practice frequent maintenance. By following these simple window maintenance tips, you can help your windows last for years to come.
- Keep It Clean: Periodically wipe down the window frame with a damp cloth to remove dust and dirt. Use glass cleaner to keep the window panes shiny. Be diligent in your cleaning to prevent dirt and mold from building up.
- Seal Off Gaps: This is especially important if you live in a cold climate or if you run an air conditioner in the summer. When air sneaks through the small spaces between your window and frame, you could see a spike in energy bills. The best residential windows prevent energy loss, but keep an eye out for cracks.
- Mind The Exterior: While it is certainly more convenient to pay attention to the inside of your windows, don’t forget to check the outside, too. Your exterior windows are subject to harsher conditions, so they will likely need more cleaning and repair.
- Hire A Professional: Some jobs are too big for you to handle on your own. If you spot any major damage such as cracks in the frame, call a window company. They will be able to do a thorough inspection and determine exactly what your replacement plan should be. You don’t want to cause further damage by trying to fix this damage on your own. Likewise, you don’t want to damage yourself in a misguided DIY attempt to fix your second-story windows.
- Know When To Replace: With proper maintenance, high quality residential windows can last up to 20 years. With this said, not all windows are the same. Depending on the material and environmental conditions, your windows could need replacing sooner. A professional will be able to tell whether you need to schedule residential window replacement.
By keeping up with these maintenance practices, you can assure the longest life possible for your windows. Just remember that there is no perfect formula for keeping your windows in prime condition. When in doubt, call your local window professionals sooner rather than later to schedule an inspection. They will inform you on the precise condition of your windows and can recommend a new window installation plan if necessary.